1.16.2011

Meanwhile, in South Africa...

In a Polish interview, Ninja, the frontman for this South Africa rap trio once said:
"The history of South Africa is: Mandela, District 9, Die Antwoord. Everything else I don't really care about."
 When I first saw this rap crew on Youtube, I thought it was a gag. Then over New Years, someone in Canada told me that he actually went to one of their shows, and they are legit.



Die Antwoord means business people! Yes, they are white trash (Zef, in Afrikaans). Yes, they are a national embarrassment of South Africa. YES, they are totally hilarious. Yes, I would pay money to see them. I find them intriguing, entertaining, absurd, and a bit tragic. If nothing else, I would gladly part with my money so I could go mock them.

They do have some talent. Although I have no idea what they're rapping about, they do make some catchy club tunes. Here's a sample of 2 slick high budget music videos off Youtube:



>Die Antwoord - Enter The Ninja



>Die Antwoord - Evil Boy

Another earlier track worth checking out is, Wat Pomp. Die Antwoord means The Answer in Afrikaans. I see them as the South African the Insane Clown Posse. I'm not sure which question they're the answer too. Mass poverty?  HIV epidemic? Nah, they are the answer to annoying vuvuzelas. No, no, Die Antwoord is the answer to Shaggy's million dollar question, "Fucking magnets, how do they work?"

No comments:

Post a Comment